What exactly is a Master in Health Administration?
Someone who obtains a masters of health administration is positioning themselves to be a leader in the healthcare industry. With a master of healthcare administration, one can pursue a career in a variety of health management positions. A master of health administration will give students a solid foundation of skills in business, management, and healthcare.
What are the different types of degrees in this field?
The first thing to keep in mind is that in order to pursue this degree, you should have at least an associates or bachelors degree. Previous experience in the health care field is also a plus. Once you meet that requirement, there are many different program options for health administration career tracks.
MA Administration Degrees
MBA and Management Degrees
- Masters / MHA in Gerontology
- Masters / MHA in Health Education
- Masters / MHA in Health Informatics
- Masters / MHA in Health Science
MS Administration Degrees
What is the average salary of a Health Care Administrator?
Health Care Administrators are able to command very competitive salaries because of their advanced education and skills in their field. Depending on the organization with which one gains employment, there can be slight variations in figures, with larger health organizations often offering higher wages. Salaries for persons with an MHA degree generally fall between $62,170 and $104,120 yearly. The median salary for a medical and health service manager around $80,000. More info.
What schools offer degrees for a Master in Health Administration?
There are a plethora of academic institutions that offer both high quality masters of health administration degrees. Some schools offer specific specializations, while others have comprehensive general degree programs. Some of these schools include:
- University of Phoenix: The University of Phoenix offers several accredited programs for aspiring health administrators such as; General MHA, MHA - Gerontology, MHA - Health Edication, and MHA - Health Informatics.
- Boston University: This traditional brick and mortar institution has an excellent online programs for healthcare professionals pursuing their masters. The MS in Health Communication is emphasizes both communication and marketing within the healthcare field.
- Walden University: Walden offers students two excellent choices for masters degrees in health care. Walden students can become degree candidates for a General MHA, which is an excellent choice for anyone unsure of choosing a specialization in the field. Additionally, Walden offers a high-quality Master of Public Health degree program.
- Kaplan University: Kaplan is one of the premier online institutions in existence today. Prospective students can benefit from a wide variety of degrees in the field including; Master of Healthcare Administration, Master of Public Health - Public Health Program Development, MBA in Health Care Management, MS in Management - Health Care,and an MS in Nursing - Nurse Administration.
- University of Missouri: You can become a Mizzou Tiger while pursuing your health administration degree. The University of Missouri offers programs in Medical and Health Administration with a focus on Administration Services.
- University of North Texas: Located in sunny Denton, Texas, this university offers two exceptional medical and health administration programs; Health Care Administrative Services, and Health Care Facilities Administration.
- Golden Gate University: San Fransisco is home to this great academic institution. Students interested in earning an MHA would benefit from considering this schools Health Care Administration Services specialization.
- Ohio University: The online MHA program offered by Ohio University is well regarded by many. OU's program focuses on achieving the goal of allowing students to continue to work in their career, while furthering their education for potential occupational advancement.
- The University of Washington: UW offers many accredited and respected programs in health services administration. Students can work towards earning their MHA, Executive Master's, or even a Certificate.
What kinds of financial aid are available for schools offering MHA degrees?
Financial aid is generally available in the form of loans and grants for those who demonstrate need and qualify. Additionally, since the healthcare field is so important, and continually growing, there are many scholarship applications available specifically for this field. For example, The Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) offers a variety of scholarships including; the Corris Boyd Scholars Program, Bugbee Book Award, ACHE-Sponsered Scholarships, MGMA-Sponsored Scholarships, and HIMSS-Spondered Scholarships. There are also a variety of Minority Health scholarships for medical and public health degrees available to qualified candidates. Research is the best way to learn more about financial aid options. More info about MHA scholarships and grants.